- Attack Phase: Composed with and only of proteins.
- Alternative Phase: Same with the introduction of vegetables.
- Consolidation Phase: Rather long level for a return to normal.
- Stabilization Phase: Usual feeding but under surveillance to avoid falling back in the old bad habits.
Step 1 : Attack Phase : Pure Proteins (aka PP)
The first is an attack phase that causes a very fast start with a consistent weight loss.
It consists of eating all what follows during 3/5/7/10 days.
- Horse (except steak, the rib and the horse shaft)
- Any poultry (except ducks and goose) without the skin.
- Light hams
- Turkey ham
- Chicken ham
- Grisons meat
- Any fish even tuna in natural, smoked salmon, or surimi.
- Seafood: Shellfish and crustaceans ...
Dairy products 0%
- Yoghurt (except 0% yoghurt with fruit that are limited to 2/day if they are between 6 and 9g of carbohydrates per 100g and is outside the period of attack where they are prohibited)
- White cheese (Cottage Cheese)
- "BA" Vanilla 0% (added by Dr. Dukan).
- Low-fat milk at a rate of Max 1/4L per day.
- Allowed if composed with at least 95% protein to be used in preparations but not in place of a meal.
- To be compatible with pure proteins, the chewins gum must contain sweetening composed with aspartam only. And not Sirbitol.
- 1.5 liters per day (water, coffee, tea, herbal tea) This is a prerequisite for weight loss and therefore not to be overlooked! Also, if you do not drink enough, you risk serious problems with kidney! It must eliminate toxins, and thus drink, drink, drink!
Anything else is allowed during a phase, as you like but what is not in the list of foods corresponding to this phase is completely BANNED during this phase!
Step 2 : The cruise phase (aka PL)
You consume the proteins described above, by adding vegetables.
Then you'll alternate pure proteins phases (PP) and protein vegetables (PL) until getting the desired weight.
- For a loss less than 10 kg (22 lbs), alternate 3 days of PP and 3 days of PL.
- For a loss greater than 10 kg (22 lbs), alternate 5 days of PP and 5 days of PL.
You can take 5 days of PP (pure protein) and then re-PL (protein vegetables).
The Alternative Phase goes with 5 days protein vegetables (PL) according to the list of vegetables. Fat and sugar banned.
Is allowed in PL Phase: In fact you got the right to all the vegetables cooked or raw, without restriction of quantity, schedule or mixing.
- Swiss chard
- French beans
- Carrots and beets are allowed but not at every meal because of their sugar content.
- Avocado, which is a very fat oleaginous fruit, not a vegetable
- Small fresh weight or dried
- Split peas
- Chick peas
Level 3 and 4: consolidation and stabilization
These last two phases are also very important (or more), and are fully explained in the book.
The consolidation takes 10 days per lost kilogram (2 lbs), and then you reintroduce the previously prohibited foods (bread, cheese, fruit, starch).
Then you respect the rule of one day of PP per week (Thursday).
An example for this to be clear:
You have 20 kilos (44 lbs) to lose.
Let's assume you lose in 6 months.
You will then have 200 days of consolidation (10 days/kilo lost), which will take you to a total of one year of plan (15 days).
You must be absolutely aware of it before starting this diet, this is not a miracle diet (it does not exist) or an easy one.
Authorized food during consolidation;
- Food listed in Attack Phase (reintroduction of the lamb legand roast pork tenderloin)
- Vegetables of the cruise phase
- 1 portion of fruit per day, EXCEPT BANANA ... GRAPES AND CHERRIES
- 2 slices of bread per day
- 40g cheese
- 2 portions of starch per week
To top it all:
- 2 Gala meals per week!
- A simple rule to follow: serve yourself one cosistent plate, but don't serve a secon time!
The stabilization is for life, and is based on two principles:
- Thursday protein for life. One day to find its weight. A fixed day for not having to postpone indefinitely, to stick to it.
- Eat 3 teaspoon of oat bran per day. They can be found in bio or dietetic stores.
Summary of the Protal Plan (aka Dukan Diet)
|Attack Phase with Pure proteins (PP)||Average Duration: 5 days|
|Cruise Phase with Proteins +Vegetables (PL)||Average Duration : 7 days per kilo|
|Phase of consolidation||Average Duration : 10 days per kilo lost|
|Phase of stabilisation||One day of PP every week (Thursday)|